What is data privacy and why does it matter? How did we get here, what does “here” look like, and what’s ahead?
At a recent Ketch meetup, I presented a primer on data privacy, exploring the past, present, and future of privacy law. Below are my slides, as well as summary takeaways.
Thanks to those of you who attended our virtual event! Join Ketch’s #PrivacyTech group for updates on our upcoming meetups.
- Data Privacy is here to stay
- Global regulations are increasing in number and severity.
- Growing demand for privacy experts in tech.
- Everybody needs to know the basics, and it’s not rocket science (credible online resources are everywhere).
- Know the privacy lingo
- GDPR: personal data, legal basis, controller, processor, sub-processor, data subject, DSR, DPIA.
- CCPA: personal information, consumer, business, service provider, business purpose, sell.
- Other: HIPAA, COPPA, PII, PHI.
- Data isn’t dead
- Data + Privacy is more than the sum of its parts.
- The laws still allow enough flexibility to use data. Yes, everything is harder now, but it was too easy before.
- Practice privacy-by-design and privacy-by-default.
- Be vigilant: there are lots of bad (or ignorant) actors out there.